Well, the summer is officially over. I’ve put in 10 long weeks of work and I’ve accomplished quite a bit. While this series of blogs has been focused on my honors thesis project, I’ve also been working on the tRFLP project described in last summer’s blog series. With that project, I have gotten fragment data for every month from Mat 2009 to August 2010! The next step is the analysis of the fragments and creation of dendrograms to compare similarity in the bacterial community in each month over the course of the year. I’ve got my work cut out for me there too!
Moving into the fall semester, I’m really excited to get back into the lab! I have 92 sequences to get and analyze, in silica digestion of the sequences to perform, similarity matrices to create and a thesis to write! It’s going to be a busy year, but I am confident I can get it all done!
Despite the setbacks (and because of the setbacks) in my research this summer, I have learned so much! I am more in love with research than ever before and I know for sure this is what I want to do with my life! I am so grateful to Mr. Chappell, my thesis funding donors, the Charles Center and Dr. Williamson for giving me this opportunity! I truly wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere other than our freezing cold, windowless, absolutely wonderful lab for my summer!
And to you, readers, thanks for coming with me on this journey, following bacterial DNA on it’s roller coaster ride to being sequenced! I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did!
For the last time,